Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
takes a little effort but never any left-overs
Make and share this Sweet Potato Casserole for Thanksgiving recipe from Food.com.
- pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel sweet potatoes and slice finely.
- put potatoes into microwaveable bowl. Add 5 T water. Cover and cook until tender (about 40 minutes).
- take out of oven and remove cover WATCH STEAM.
- let cool about 15 minutes.
- put potatoes into mixer. Combine with sugar, eggs, milk, 1/2 C butter and beat at medium speed until smooth (about 10 minutes).
- spoon into lightly greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- in a small bowl combine brown sugar, pecans, flour, and 2 T butter. Crumble mixture over casserole.
- bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes (uncovered).
This is a delicious dish, but the times in the instructions are strange. For example, if you microwave anything for 40 minutes you won't end up with something edible. Perhaps that was the author's estimate as to how long it takes including the peeling and slicing? And it doesn't take 10 minutes to beat the sugar/butter etc. into the potatoes. Aside from that, it's yummy. I don't cool the potatoes or drain the water off the potatoes before mixing them, and prefer to use brown sugar both in the potatoes and in the topping.