Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was my creation. I couldn't find one that had all the things I liked, so I came up with my own. It is quick and simple to make because there is no cutting or peeling potatoes. I think this recipe appeals to the sophisticated palette with because it is heavily spiced, but it also offers a sticky sweet "candy-like" topping that the kids will LOVE. After my family ate this for Thanksgiving 2 years ago, I was dubbed "sweet potato queen." So far I haven't lost my crown! Enjoy!! :)
- 2 (40 ounce) cans sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup cream sherry
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (*Note “Apple Pie Spice”, made by Astor, is a blend of the following spices: cinnamon, ginger, allspi)
- 2 cups brown sugar (not packed)
- 2 cups pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine main dish ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into 9 x 13 inch pan lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar, flour, and butter with a pastry cutter.
- (A fork could do the job in a pinch.) Then stir in pecans and coconut.
- Spread the topping evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- If top starts looking too dark, cover with foil.