Recipe by CountryLady
I've tried many recipes but keep coming back to this one! It can be prepared in advance & thrown in the oven while you do other things.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
We had a small intimate Thanksgiving this year and each of us picked our favorite dish to be served. This pick was mine and I was so delighted with the outcome! I love sweet potato casserole but the topping mixture on this made it simply fabulous! I love the addition of the cinnamon and nutmeg to the candy-like marshmallows! Thank you so much Country Lady!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or 4 medium yams, about 2 lbs
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash potatoes, peel & cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cook in boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain well, place into a 2 quart casserole dish & mash.
- Add brown sugar, margarine & salt; continue mashing until no lumps remain.
- Mix in orange juice & pineapple & set aside.
- Place first 5 topping ingredients into a medium sized pot, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the margarine is melted.
- Add the marshmallows & toss to coat.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the marshmallow mixture & sprinkle with the pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350F oven until the potatoes are heated through & the marshmallows are melted, 30- 45 minutes.
- I sometimes leave it longer to make the topping almost become like candy!