Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was served at a dinner party I went to at my friend, Shea Kurtz's house. Liked it so well, I begged the recipe. I have no idea where she got it, but ever since I made it for Thanksgiving the first time (which was about 15 years ago), it's become a staple at all our holiday gatherings. And with it posted, I won't have to look for it every time!!
- Mix first 8 ingredients together and pour into a 9x9 casserole dish.
- Blend the ingredients for the topping with mixer and sprinkle over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- *NOTE:An alternate method that we have used and like is to put the sweet potato mix and topping into individual custard cups- these do not bake as long- basically just until the crust on top is done.
- **NOTE2: We have also made this recipe with Brown Sugar Twin or Brown Sweet and Low for the diabetics in our family.
- I usually increase the sweetener a bit and make a little more topping for those.
I live overseas and can't find pecans, so I chose this recipe. I followed the recipe exactly and it was way too sweet and just didn't have a nice flavor. Everyone tried it, no one ate it, what a waste of ingredients after searching high and low for the sweet potatoes :(
I made this last Thanksgiving (2005) and it's on the menu again this year. I think it will be on the menu every year from here on out. I cheated and mashed canned sweet potatoes instead of starting with fresh potatoes. Also, I added chopped pecans in the topping. This is my husband's favorite part of the Thanksgiving dinner. UPDATE: It's 2011 now and yes, I have made this every Thanksgiving since 2005.
I gave this recipe 4 stars. These were so yummy! I made these for my families Thanksgiving dinner. My family loved them. When I made these I easily cut the recipe in half. I used Splenda brown sugar. My sweet potatoes took about 10-15 more due to my oven. Right before pulling them from the oven I did top them with marshmallows so my hubby could try sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Overall I will so make these again! Thanks for posting! Christine (internetnut)