Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Family members who didn't like sweet potatoes are now fans. Don't miss out on this dish at your next potluck or holiday gathering. GOOD TO KNOW: This traditional casserole topped with gooey marshmallows and crunchy pecans gets trimmed down just in time for the holidays. Using half-and-half instead of butter adds a touch of creamy richness with just one-third the fat and less than half the calories of butter.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small slices
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add half-and-half, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and vanilla. Beat with mixter at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat well (mixture will be thin). Scrape mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, sprinkle miniature marshmallows over top of casserole. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level wit a knife. Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans, and sprinkle over potato mixture and marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.