Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This casserole has become a Thanksgiving tradition at our house.
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- Mix sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and butter thoroughly.
- Pour into buttered 1 quart casserole.
- Mix all the topping ingredients with a fork.
- Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
This is an excellent recipe, provided that you cut every ingredient in half EXCEPT the sweet potatoes. Otherwise, it is way too sweet and way too rich. You will also find that half the topping is sufficient. This recipes is known as Senator Russell's Sweet Potatoes in a Taste of the South cookbook my mother has. I like to add a little orange juice and grated orange grind to give it taste beyond just "sweet." Thank you for posting!
My Daughter absolutely loves this one. She would like me to make it every day if I would. Getting ready to make it for my son's preschool Thanksgiving Feast.