Recipe by Jayneice
Great new twist on an old holiday favorite. A woman and church shared this with me many years ago. Even if you aren't a yam fan, you'll find you love this!
- 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes or 3 -4 medium fresh sweet potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sweet potatoes in large sauce pan until hot (or tender if using fresh).
- Drain and mash with mixer.
- Cream into potatoes: eggs, milk, butter, sugar, vanilla.
- Pour into 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes at 400°.
- While baking potatoes: Melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Add brown sugar to butter, nuts and cornflakes.
- Mix well.
- Remove potato casserole from oven at the completion of first baking time.
- Cover top with cornflakes/nuts/brown sugar topping.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- * Divide for smaller portions. Freezes well.
- ** If you add too much milk, then add more potatoes. A common mistake is to add the whole can of evaporated milk instead of one cup.