Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This will make everyone a sweet potato lover. It tastes great, with a hint of orange and spices. You can make it ahead of time and either bake or microwave to heat. It makes quite a bit, so for a smaller crowd it is easy to cut in half.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although I do love eathing sweet potatoes all year long, my other half doesn't, so when making this recipe, I cut it back by half & indulged myself for several days! I didn't bake the 'tatoes but rather diced them up quite small & steamed them, then mashed then with the skin ~ I do love that part of them as well! I was generous when measuring the orange zest & did include the nuts (pecans, this time)! Such a nice, on-going treat for just me! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed during the Family Picks part of ZWT6]
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, freshly grated
- pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and bake until soft, about 1 hour.
- Reset oven to 350F degrees.
- Slip sweet potatoes out of their skins and mash, adding butter, half and half, and Madeira.
- Add cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and orange rind.
- Adjust seasonings and place in a buttered baking dish.
- Dot with butter, sprinkle with pecans and bake for 25 minutes.