Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 27 mins
This recipe is my grandmother's.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed (about 3 large)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- 10 dashes I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray, preparing the pan
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce each one 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Turn the oven down to 350°F Scoop the sweet potato out of their skins and into a medium bowl. Discard the skins. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the eggs, butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Butter an 8 by 8-inch casserole. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with the pecans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a bit puffy. Serve immediately.