Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
We just had this at Thanksgiving EVERYONE raved about it and asked for the recipe. You can also prepare it the night before so you can have more time with your guests :o>
Sweet Potato Mixture
- 709.77 ml cooked mashed sweet potatoes, skins off
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 78.07 ml flour
- 236.59 ml chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- Boil or steam sweet potatoes,.
- drain, take skins off and set aside.
- Combine ingredients for the crust mixture in a mixing bowl, next, in a separate mixing bowl, combine ingredients for the sweet potato mixture. Combine thoroughly. Pour sweet potato mixture into a buttered baking dish (9x9).
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture.
- Brown briefly, just until crust is brown. Allow to set for at lease 30 minutes before serving.
This is the first time I have ever had sweet potatoes (kumera) in a casserole like this. We get two varieties here in NL a creamy white coloured one and a red/orange coloured one and the orange one has loads more flavour. I used the orange variety and just peeled it, then boiled and roughly mashed... I did find the "combine thoroughly" direction in step 3 a bit misleading, I almost mixed the topping into the sweet potato, but realised that that wasn't right. This turned out well, we liked it, my only mistake was a to cut down the recipe for 2 and still have a bit too much topping, we both agreed that was a bit on the sweet side, so I would cut back on the topping more next time. I took the advice of the other reviewer and added some nutmeg and ground allspice... great flavours. Please see my rating system: I almost gave this 3 stars becuase of the too sweet topping but the sweet potato mixture undernieth was so nice that we decided to cut way way back on the topping next time and give this 4 stars :) Thanks!
I just did a search for Ruth's Chris Special Sweet Potato Casserole and this recipe matches it! We had it at our local Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and it was phenomenal! I'm happy it's posted here - makes it easy for me to find! When I made this, I added just a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to the sweet potato mixture. So good.