Recipe by Dropbear
The brown sugar, cream, marshmallows and oatmeal streusel gives this casserole a taste similar to sweet potato pie, yet the dish goes great alongside meals as varied as low-key chicken dinners or festive holiday banquets.
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (5 to 6 potatoes-see step #1)
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub a little vegetable oil on the skin of each sweet potato and bake them in a preheated 400 degree oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until they are tender.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scrape out the insides and use an electric mixer on high speed to beat the potatoes until they are mashed and smooth.
- Measure exactly 6 cups of the mashed sweet potato into a large bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup brown sugar, heavy cream, melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt into the sweet potatoes and mix well with the beater until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour this mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the oatmeal streusel by grinding the rolled oats to a fine flour using a food processor.
- A blender will also work.
- Combine the oat flour with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into the dry mixture using a pastry knife or a fork.
- You should have a crumbly mixture with pea-size bits.
- Sprinkle this oatmeal streusel over the sweet potato mixture and pop it into the oven for 70 to 80 minutes or until the top begins to brown slightly.
- When you remove the casserole from the oven immediately spread the marshmallows over the top.
- Let this sit for about 10 minutes.
- The heat from the casserole will melt the marshmallows, and then it's ready to serve.