Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A smooth and creamy soup with a sweet/spicy flavor.
Make and share this Sweet Potato Carrot Bisque recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (peel and chop)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (or Mayo if you want non-dairy)
- French-fried onions (like used in the traditional green bean casserole)
- chow mein noodles
- dried banana pieces (chop)
- roasted peanuts
- flaked coconut
- Put both carrots and sweet potato into large kettle with the chicken broth and simmer until the veggies are tender (20 minutes or so), adding water if needed to keep veggies covered.
- Saute onion in butter.
- When onion is translucent add to pot of veggies.
- Cool mixture for 15 minutes.
- Place mix into blender 2 cups at a time and puree until smooth.
- When all of mixture is pureed, add spices and blend.
- Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Blend in yogurt (or mayo) right before serving.
- Serve with toppings on the side (my kids will eat almost anything they can add toppings to!).
This is my new favourite soup! I could eat this everyday. I make this with vegetable broth, and coconut milk. It makes this soup vegan friendly, gluten and dairy free. Since I've been eliminating dairy from my diet, this is a great treat for me. It tastes very creamy and delicious!
This was a real hit! I made it at home, loved it, and made it for a soup and salad potluck. It got raves and I got requests for the recipe from at least 4 people. Now I've been asked to make it again for this weekend. The changes I made were to use low sodium vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, omitted the salt, and used canned coconut milk instead of yogurt. The coconut milk gives it a great texture and wonderful flavor!
If you change the chicken broth to vegetable broth then this recipe can be called vegetarian.