Recipe by Enjolinfam
One thing my family loved about living in Korea was all of the sweet potato snacks and foods. So, my family got hooked on sweet potatoes and loves finding recipes that use them. This recipe came from the cookbook "Easy Meals Vegetarian."
Top Review by Rinshinomori
These were very delicious and I really liked the tomato sauce. The addition of soy sauce to the tomato sauce really made it unique and complimented the sweet potato patties perfectly. I followed the recipe completely except one thing. I used the food processor as suggested to grate the sweet potatoes finely. However, this produced rather wet mixture unable to hold any shape when I was trying to dust with flour. Tried twice and they fell apart so I had to add an egg as a binder to hold the mixture and I omitted the flour totally. It's not vegetarian anymore but since we are not one, it was perfect and made fabulous sweet potato pancakes. I would be making this again - what a great thing to have for Thanksgiving. Thank you Enjolinfam for sharing this recipe with us. Made for Australian Feb tag game.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, about 500g total weight
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small green chili pepper, chopped
- 2 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- all-purpose flour, for shaping
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
Soy and Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 3⁄4 inch gingerroot, chopped finely
- 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the Soy & Tomato Sauce, heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the garlic and ginger for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, and cilantro. Set aside and keep warm.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and grate finely (you can do this quickly with a food processor). Place the garlic, chile, and cilantro in a mortar and crush with a pestle to a smooth paste. Stir in the soy cauce with the garlic, chili, and cilantro and mix in the sweet potatoes.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions. Dip into flour and pat into a flat, round patty shape.
- Heat a shallow pool of oil in a wide skillet. Cook the sweet potato patties over a high heat until they are golden, turning them once.
- Drain the cooked patties on paper towels and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve while still hot, with a spoonful of the Soy & Tomato Sauce.