Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
2011 Christmas with Southern Living
Make and share this Sweet Potato Cake With Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 navel orange, cut into quarters
- 1.5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with shortening; line pans with wax paper, and grease paper.
- Dust with flour and shake out excess.
- Drain and press pineapple between paper towels to remove excess moisture; set pineapple aside.
- Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.
- Stir in reserved pineapple, sweet potatoes, and next 3 ingredients until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Make frosting-.
- Peel orange sections, removing any bitter white pith.
- Process cream cheese and butter in a food processor just until smooth.
- Add 3 orange sections; process 20 seconds or until mixture is smooth (reserve remaining orange section for another use).
- Transfer cream cheese mixture to a mixing bowl; gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended; stir in vanilla.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; garnish with candied pecans and orange zest, if desired.