Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is an unusual cake; good for those times when you don't want something too rich or sweet. It can be made ahead and frozen up to 2 months. Just wait until the cake is cool and wrap it tightly in 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. When ready to use, just take the cake out of the freezer at least 4 hours before serving and let it thaw -- unwrapped -- at room temperature. (Cooking time does not include the 2 hours for cooling the cake.)
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sweet potatoes, cooked and thoroughly mashed (preferred) or 3⁄4 cup canned sweet potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt cake pan or an angel food/tube cake pan (10 x 4 inches).
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat sweet potatoes, sour cream, yogurt, butter, vanilla and egg yolks in large bowl on medium speed until blended. Beat in flour mixture; beat 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.