Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
You have to try this recipe! It's a huge hit everywhere I bring it. It's very simple and a great holiday recipe. I found it in the local newspaper here and ever since I made it I have had people begging me to make it again and for the recipe. It makes two 9x13 pans so it's great for big get togethers. Enjoy!
- Peel and Boil the sweet potatoes until soft (you can also bake them and scrape out the pulp).
- Add sweet potatoes to bowl and mash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Oil two 9x13 pans.
- split mixture between two 9x13 pans evenly.
- Sprinkle with chopped Pecans.
- You can make a thicker cake if you prefer in two loaf pans but cooking time will be longer.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 min until the edges are brown.
- The cake will rise as it cooks.
Yum! I altered this a bit. I used a full box of spice cake mix and followed the directions on the box but omitted the oil. Then I added 1/2 tsp of orange zest, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I also used three 6 ounce jars of sweet potato baby food. Wonderful and moist. Made a large bundt cake. I drizzled a cream cheese frost on top. Very pretty!
This cake is perfect for Thanksgiving, not too sweet and very moist.
Great Recipe!! Tried it once at the local Fire Department and fell in love! It's the best thing next to a sweet potato pie!! But no crust! Sweet but not to rich.. The guys at the station were licking their plates when they were done!