Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Sweet Potato Buttermilk Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with two forks, a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture is crumbly.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg until frothy. Stir in buttermilk and sweet potatoes. Pour mixture into flour mixture stirring just until blended. Pour batter into greased 9x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes or until center springs back when pressed. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.
WOW, this cornbread is amazing! It is moist, soft and sooo delish! YUM! I loved the addition of veggies in this bread, it added great texture and taste! The colour was also gorgeous and since the veggies were grated, it was also a pinch to make.
I used whole spelt flour, a little less butter than called for and reduced the sugar by half, but other than that stuck to your recipe and loved it!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, scarley! Made and reviewed for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game February 2011.
Really good! I had two small sweet potatoes to use, which was 3 cups grated, so doubled the recipe and baked in a 13x9 pan. Note that the recipe calls for grated sweet potatoes, not shredded. Couldn't find the right blade for the food processor, so I ended up shredding, then pulsing a few times to chop more finely. There were some not too noticeable orangish flecks in the baked product, but you'd never taste the sweet potatoes, and the cornbread was nice and crisp on the outside, tender and perfect inside. I was actually shocked at how good this was! The whole family enjoyed it. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!