Recipe by scarley
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW, this cornbread is amazing! It is moist, soft and sooo delish! YUM! I loved the addition of veggies in this bread, it added great texture and taste! The colour was also gorgeous and since the veggies were grated, it was also a pinch to make.
I used whole spelt flour, a little less butter than called for and reduced the sugar by half, but other than that stuck to your recipe and loved it!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, scarley! Made and reviewed for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game February 2011.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with two forks, a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture is crumbly.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg until frothy. Stir in buttermilk and sweet potatoes. Pour mixture into flour mixture stirring just until blended. Pour batter into greased 9x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes or until center springs back when pressed. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.