Recipe by Marianne Cote
Adapted from one of the best vegetarian recipes on the internet, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/ I like to make triple batches of this recipe, wrap each burrito, and freeze them for OAMC and for packed lunches. When I'm leaving for work, I can quickly grab a frozen burrito and a salad or a piece of fruit, and go. The burritos reheat easily in the microwave. This recipe is easy to assemble in large quantities.
- 6 cups black beans, cooked or canned, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using dried black beans, soak overnight, and cook with a piece of dashi kombu seawood to make the beans softer. This step is optional, but dashi kombu, sold in asian foods stores, is wonderful for making beans softer and easier to digest.
- I find the easiest way to prepare large quantities of mashed sweet potatoes, is to throw all the unchopped, unpeeled sweet potatoes into a large stock pot, and boil until tender enough to easily poke a bread knife through. Then, drain all the water down the sink, and leave the sweet potatoes to cool slightly, and finish draining. After they have been boiled and drained, the skins slip off easily; much less work than peeling. Then mash them, and stir in salt and butter if you prefer.
- In a large pot, stir together the cooked or canned beans, cumin, mustard, soy sauce, and hot sauce. Taste, and add more seasonings if you like. Try to mash the beans slightly.
- Put 1/2 cup of bean mixture onto each tortilla. Top with cheese, if desired. Top with 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato. Wrap each tortilla.
- For a crispy outside, arrange the assembled burritos on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. Serve warm.
- For freezer food, do not pre-bake the burritos. Wrap individually with plastic wrap, and freeze.