Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. As summer winds down and tailgate season heats up I wanted to create a recipe reminiscent of grilling out as we moved into fall! Sweet potatoes are such a fall food for my family and I love putting a healthy spin on a plain old burger with this unique recipe!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic heads
- 236.59 ml canned cannellini or 236.59 ml canned black beans
- 118.29 ml panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 118.29 ml sweet corn
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 158.51 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 14.79 ml honey
- 14.79 ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 4 whole grain buns
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse sweet potatoes in cold water, wrap in Reynolds Wrap Foil and poke several times with a fork.
- Bake for 1 hour (or more) depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Take 2 bulbs of garlic, chop off about 1/4 inch of the tops, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in Reynolds Wrap Foil.
- Garlic can cook 30-35 minutes with Sweet Potatoes.
- Remove garlic and sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, mash cannellini beans in a large bowl with sweet potatoes.
- Add in spices, egg, and panko.
- Mix all of these ingredients together and refrigerate for 20 minutes to help stiffen for burgers.
- Meanwhile mix the sour cream with the 2 roasted bulbs of garlic, squeezed for all the good stuff, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Take avocado and chop into bite size chunks and in a small ball combine with sweet corn, lemon juice and cilantro for topping.
- Heat a large pan over medium with olive oil.
- Take sweet potato mixture and shape into 4 patties.
- Cook on each side approximately 6-7 minutes until patties seem to hold together and flip.
- Add the patties to your whole wheat buns and top with avocado mixture and garlic cream sauce.
- Add lettuce, tomato and onions if desired.
My friend shared this recipe with me last night - looks awesome! I would go with the black beans over the white beans, just for preference!
I like the idea of a sweet potato burger, definitely a fall dish but the avacado and corn salsa keep everything light and fresh with the honey garlic cream sauce, not too heavy! Can't wait to taste them again next time I make them. Great idea and great recipe!