Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The Sweet Melissa Baking Book
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed; mash the sweet potatoes until smooth (this will make about 2 cups).
- Add in the sugar and oil; mix to combine.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition; scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the sweet potato mixture in three batches, mixing well after each addition; scrape down sides of bowl; do not overmix; stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spin the pan to level the batter.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before inverting onto the rack for glazing.
- Make the glaze: combine the orange juice, rum, sugar, and cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly before glazing.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze generously over the still-warm bread; wait 10 minutes and glaze again.
- Serve at room temperature.