Recipe by Sharon123
Chimichurri has its roots in Argentina, where it is usually slathered over grilled meat. Here, it lends spicy, garlicky goodness to a hearty bowl of sweet potatoes and quinoa. For optimum flavor, use larger amount of spices. I have tweeked this just a tad. From Vegetarian Times.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
We like this very much but there was something missing and five minutes into eating our sweet potato with chimichurri bowls it hit me: raw onion. So, I quickly diced red onion and garnished the mixture with them. I experimented with quinoa's cousin called ' ka~niwa/canahua' and to bulk up this recipe (was served as a main dish) we added fresh greens. Fresh cilantro replaced some of the fresh parsley. Made for Veggie Swap January.
Sweet Potatoes and Quinoa
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skin-on, finely diced (1 1/2 -2 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained (or plain quinoa)
- 2 small ripe yet firm avocados, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups loosely packed Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Sweet Potatoes and Quinoa:
- Preheat oven to 425°F Toss sweet potatoes with oil on large baking sheet, and spread in single layer. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and roast 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook.
- 15 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt, if desired.
- To make Chimichurri:
- Warm oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Blend parsley, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and red pepper flakes in food processor until coarsely chopped. Pour in warm oil, and pulse quickly until blended.
- Divide sweet potatoes and quinoa among 4 bowls. Top each serving with 3 Tbs. Chimichurri, and garnish with sliced avocado, if using. Drizzle with extra Chimichurri, if desired.