Recipe by BakinBaby
This little gem comes from my "Victory Garden Cookbook". No need for icing, you can dust with confectioners' sugar if you like. Nice cake during the fall when sweet potatoes abound.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I settled on this cake recipe because of the Sweet potatoes (not the bourbon!) & was pleasantly surprised to find that the bourbon flavor added a nice touch to the whole thing! Will definitely be saving this recipe in my yam cookbook ~ OK, so they really are sweet potatoes! Thanks for sharing a very tasty recipe (well at least a tasty cake)! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the FAMILY PICKS part of ZWT5]
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 eggs (seperated)
- 1⁄3 cup water (boiling)
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together; flour,baking powder,salt & seasonings, set aside.
- Beat oil and sugars together until smooth, beat in egg yolks & boiling water gradually; beat for 2-3minutes.
- Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture gradually, stirring well.
- Stir in bourbon (take a sip if you like, as this adds to the character of the cake).
- Stir in pecans.
- Peel and grate sweet potatoes (should end up with 2 cups packed); stir into sugar mixture.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks; add the cream of tartar & salt.
- Stir 1/4 of the whites into sweet potato mix, then fold in remainder.
- Place in a greased 10 inch tube pan and bake about 1 hour in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Cool pan for at least 15 minutes before unmolding.
- Serve solo, or dust with confectioners' sugar.