Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Once I heard about this, I just had to try it for Thanksgiving!
- 4 large garnet sweet potatoes, pricked all over with a fork (about 12-14 oz. each)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot red pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Place potatoes on a large foil-lined baking sheet and bake until fork-tender, about 1 hour. When cool to the touch, peel and quarter the potatoes. (Can be covered and refrigerated overnight.).
- Place potatoes, cream, butter, bourbon, sugar, molasses and salt in small Dutch oven or soup kettle; mash ingredients together with potato masher. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered and stirring frequently, until potatoes are soft and thick, about 30 minutes. Stir in pepper sauce and nutmeg; adjust seasonings and serve.
These are oh-so-good! Love that bourbon flavor with the sweetness of the potatoes. And the hot sauce adds a subtle yummy spice without overpowering. Made for Please Review My Recipe.