Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Credit goes to the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission. From the book "The Color Code."
Make and share this Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb sweet potato, cooked and diced.
- 1 1⁄2 cups black beans
- 1 cup roasted bell pepper, julienned (combination of red, yellow and green would be best)
- 1 medium papaya, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup watercress
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for 25 minutes, or refrigerate for 1 hour to let flavors combine.
- Serve over fresh greens and garnish with tortilla chips.
This is JUST delicious! All the colors of the rainbow make for a beautiful presentation too. The sweet potato is the star in this. I think in a pinch you could leave the papaya out, it gets a tiny bit lost. We used a fresh red pepper in lieu of the roasted, and were glad for the crunch it provided. Also doubled the watercress, used less oil, subbed green onion and served it with baked corn tortilla chips. This would be great for a potluck if the folks aren't too unadventurous. The flavors are so yummy together! Serves 2-3 if it's a main course.
I brought this for a Father's Day group picnic and it was a major hit. So many requests for the recipe too! I did add some white stevia extract because I was not sure my papaya was ripe enough. This is a keeper Oh and I garnished it with organic blue corn tortilla chips--beautiful!