Recipe by Somogirl
This method for cooking the sweet potatoes gives them more flavor. This is great in burritos or on its own over rice.
Top Review by Marysdottir
This was very good. I've made it before with yams but this was the first time with sweet potato (I assume it meant the yellow ones not the orange ones called yams here). I also added a little chipotle sauce to get the smokiness. Great as a side dish or for burritos. Thanks.
- 2 cups peeled and cubed raw sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 -5 tablespoons taco seasoning (or half a 1.25 oz packet)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat in a heavy saucepan or pot. Add half of the taco seasoning careful not to burn. After a few seconds add sweet potatoes and enough water to cover 2 inches of pan bottom. (The amount of water depends on size of pan, so I didn't state it in cup measurement). Water should not cover sweet potatoes all the way.
- Bring to boil,then reduce and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Stir once or twice.
- When done add black beans, mix in remaining spices until beans are heated through. If mixture is too watery, turn heat up high for a few minutes, watching carefully until liquid is reduced and thicker.
- For burritos, add cooked rice and cheese; roll or serve over rice.