Recipe by Derf
Serve over rice and garnish with sour cream, chopped green onions or cilantro. From Century Home Magazine.
Top Review by KimRaber
This is GREAT! I'm not generally a fan of sweet potatoes, but I do like them in soups so I decided to try this. I left out the meat, mainly because I didn't want to have 1/2 pound of turkey left over. I actually think the meat is unnecessary and loved it without! This is a wonderfully colorful dish and very visually appealling. Based on previous reviews about undercooked potatoes, I diced mine and had no problems. Served with dinner rolls to sop up liquid. I will make this again and share it with my Weight Watchers members!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, about 1 cup, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey (optional)
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 4 cups diced tomatoes (and their juice)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- water (as needed) or tomato juice (as needed)
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 (540 ml) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 small zucchini (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan or small soup pot on medium high heat.
- Add onion, turkey, garlic and sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add seasonings and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice and jalapeno and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- You might need to add water or tomato juice if too much liquid evaporates.
- Stir in red pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in squeeze of lime juice to taste.
- Can be made a day in advance, add a little liquid when reheating.