Caitlin Williams's Note:
These biscuits are THE BEST!!! This recipe is adapted from a non-vegan recipe I got from Williams-Sonoma, so it can easily be converted back to non-vegan by using real butter and buttermilk in place of the soured soy milk. Keep the butter and shortening cold to make the biscuits flaky, and handle the dough as little as possible so they will be tender. Cutting the biscuits into rectangles avoids leaving scraps which would need to be rerolled, which can lead to tough biscuits, but I have found that rerolling them once doesn't have that much of an impact.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 1/4 cups soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons vegan sugar or 4 teaspoons sugar substitute, of your choice
- 2/3 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces (I like Earth Balance)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Prick sweet potato several times with a fork, place it directly on the oven rack, and bake until very tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 3Let cool completely.
- 4Position oven rack in the top 1/3 of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- 5Put vinegar into a liguid measuring cup and add the soy milk, this sours the soy milk for a buttermilk replacement.
- 6Peel sweet potato and force it through the medium disk of a food mill, or a large-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- 7Add soured soy milk and whisk until smooth.
- 8In a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and sugar (if using dry sweetener, add liquid sweetener to the wet mixture).
- 9Add the shortening and butter and cut them into the dry ingredients using a a pastry blender, until they resemble corn kernals.
- 10Add the wet mixture and stir until a soft, crumbly dough forms.
- 11Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 8 to 10 times, until it just holds together.
- 12Roll out and pat the dough into a rectangle 6 by 12 inches.
- 13Using a knife or cookie cutter, cut the dough into 12 rectangular biscuits.
- 14Transfer the biscuits to an ungreased insulated baking sheet (recommended) or doubled regular baking sheets.
- 15Bake until the biscuits have risen and their edges and bottoms are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Biscuits (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.0
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 172.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: