Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
the long prep time is due to having the puree chill
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- boil potatoes until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Drain;puree in food processor with butter and maple syrup.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together the sweet potato puree and buttermilk.
- Stir quickly into flour mixture until combined.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead gently.
- If dough is sticky work in 1/4 cup more flour.
- Shape into a disk, and pat to an even 1 inch thickness.
- Cut out biscuits.
- Butter 8 inch cake pan.
- Arrange biscuits snugly in pan.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake until golden.
- 20-25 minutes.