Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from the 1986 cookbook, From the Farmers' Market.
Make and share this Sweet Potato Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (more or less)
- 1 egg, well geaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, then generously butter a baking sheet.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil in a single package & bake until tender, about 1 hour, then remove from the oven, unwrap & set on a wire rack to cool somewhat. Raise oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel & mash them, so that you have 1 cup of puree.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, nutmeg & salt, then stir in the pepper before adding the butter. Cut in the butter, combining & mixing until coarsely crumbled.
- Make a well in the center & add the cup of mashed sweet potatoes, stirring together gently with a fork, then stir in enough cream to make a sticky but manageable dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface & pat or roll to a thickness of 3/4 inch. Use a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to cut out rounds of the dough, & transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll the dough as necessary, until the dough is used up.
- Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits with the beaten egg, then bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, with butter & ENJOY!
Wow! What flaky biscuits. You just get a hint of the sweet potato. Yum! OK, this is going in my best of 2010 cookbook. I cut the recipe in half and it worked great. I got 5 nice size biscuits. Could have had 6 but didn't know if they would fit in my pan. (and the answer is YES). I made as posted but used low fat half and half in place of the heavy cream. During step 5 just keep working the dough because it will come together. I used an extra splash of liquid. If you really want a treat do what I did. I made Syd's Parmesan-Roasted Sweet Potato Skins and used the guts...for this delicious recipe. Thanks for posting. :)
My DH loved this recipe!
Thanks to Best of 2011 Cookbook Official Game I found a great recipe for my DH.
What?!? My 16 year old loving sweet potato biscuits?!? ...and all said with a twinkling of the Cheshire Cat look in my eyes. Made for PRMR.