Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are really tasty. A nice change from regular biscuits, and taste great with maple butter on them!
- Combine flour, baking powder,salt, and ground nutmeg,stirring well; set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients, pour over flour mixture, and stir until fry ingredients are moistened. (Dough will be soft).
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times, adding more flour as needed.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick, cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
1st attempt at these they were bland, I made some more adding 1/4 cup more sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup brown sugar and these were gone before I could finish dinner!
I sampled the batter, and decided to follow TLizSkinn in adding an extra 1/4 cup sweet potatoes and a 1/4 cup brown sugar; but I only used 2 Tablespoons of oil. With the extra moisture from the extra sweet potatoes on a high humidity rainy day, I ended up using 2 cups total of all-purpose flour and making 12 biscuits (so if I counted my modifications right, that's 53 calories per biscuit). My 6 year-old is enjoying these, too! Tasty fresh, tasty with butter, tasty toasted the next day!