Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
from the Cooking Class series, "Breads"
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine potatoes and milk with whisk, until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the potato/milk mix.
- Stir until a soft dough is formed that clings and forms a ball.
- Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead dough 10-12 times.
- Roll or payt to a 1/2" thickness.
- Cut out dough with a floured 2 1/2" biscuit cutter or floured glass.
- Place biscuits 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until tops and bottoms are golden brown.
- Serve warm.