Recipe by Betty K. Rocker
These bars have a gooey, cheese cake-like top layer and a buttery cookie bottom layer. I adapted the recipe from one that called for pumpkin. I made these for Thanksgiving and they were gone before the meal was even served. We enjoyed them warm from the oven, topped with a dollop of whipped cream, heaven! We'll be haveing these every year from now on.
Top Review by tlrcp
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. Everyone loved it at work. Many have never heard of this recipe including me now everyone wants the recipe. It was delicious. Its definetely on my favorite list of recipes. Thanks
Bottom Cookie Layer
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 8 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 egg
Top Sweet Potato Layer
- 2 1⁄2 cups peeled mashed sweet potato
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons of softened butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix melted butter, cake mix and the egg with a mixer.
- Spread into a greased 13x9 baking dish and pack it down to form an even crust layer. Set it aside.
- Cream together the sweet potato, cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, sugar and spices and continue blending.
- Beat the eggs, add to the mixture and blend until fully incoptorated.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly over the cookie layer.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the center is set but still soft.
- Cool and cut into squares.