1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Barley Risotto in the Crock Pot
8 hrs 15 mins
For Christmas 2005 my sweet husband got me a bunch of low fat cookbooks. So for my favorite has been a Canadian one called "125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes" by Judith Finlayson. This is an adaptation of a recipe from that cookbook that we enjoyed. If you desire some cheese can be sprinkled on the finished product, but we didn't think it needed it. For the record, I used an olive oil infused with garlic. Olive or vegetable would be good here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop your onions finely.
- 2Peel the sweet potato and chop into small pieces. I like to keep my chopped sweet potato in a bowl of water until I need it because I think it keeps it from changing color.
- 3Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the oil in it. When the oil gets hot add the onions and cook until softened, stirring frequently.
- 4Then add the garlic and rosemary and stir for about a minute.
- 5Stir in the barley and stir until the barley is combined well.
- 6Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- 7Drain the sweet potatoes (if they were in water) and place into a large crockpot.
- 8Pour the boiling stock mixture over top and stir well.
- 9Cook on low for 8 hours until the barley and sweet potato are cooked through. If possible open the crockpot about halfway through and stir well.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Barley Risotto in the Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.4
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 44.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: