Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great appy for a wine and cheese or potluck.
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, peeled & grated
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- Cook the sweet potatoes. Either bake them and scoop out the insides, or peel them and then steam or boil and drain.
- Mash the cooked sweet potatoes and mix together with all the ingredients except the oil and bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Place the bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Form little balls by dropping a heaping tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture into the bread crumbs, dredging each ball through the bread crumbs.
- Fry several balls at a time in the hot oil, rolling them around occasionally to brown all sides.
- When golden brown, drain on paper towels and serve immediately, or keep them warm in the oven until you're ready to serve.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
- Variation: Stuff each ball with an olive or a little cube of sharp cheddar cheese by poking the olive or cheese into the center with your finger.
Loved these! So simple and so good. I made a few modifications based on what I had on hand -- added wild rice, and left out ginger. I also sprayed them with PAM (don't know if you're supposed to do that, but I did) and baked them. Very, very good!