Recipe by Mrs B
This versatile recipe serves 4 - 6 as a vegetarian main dish or up to 8 as a side dish. Serve hot or cold, with salads or hot vegetable dishes. Posted for RSC#8
Top Review by chayamushka
This is an excellent dish. Instead of grating the sweet potatoes I thinly sliced them because I don't like things so mashed. I used So Delicious plain coconut milk (dairy and dairy substitute aisle) instead of the dessicated coconut. I am making it again tonight and will add extra jalapeno. People seem to be saying that theirs turned out very sweet, and I assume that it's because they are using sweetened coconut. Mine was not so sweet (which I was happy about). Will be making this every Shabbat instead of kugel.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 20 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 ounces desiccated coconut
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 325 F.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions, ginger and garlic for 3 minutes until onions are transparent.
- In a large bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together then add the onion mixture.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square ovenproof dish and bake for about 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes, when the bake will be set and golden.
- If serving hot, allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.