Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe, from Harvey Morris, creator of Baked Chicago, won the grand prize in the 2013 Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest, sponsored by the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar (don't leave this out)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup mashed sweet potato
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cream of tartar and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in Cheddar cheese and bacon. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk and sweet potato. Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until combined. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead gently 12 times. Roll dough to a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 8 rectangular pieces.
- On the prepared baking sheet, place biscuits 1 inch apart. Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Serve warm.