Recipe by gailanng
This recipe, from Harvey Morris, creator of Baked Chicago, won the grand prize in the 2013 Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest, sponsored by the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar (don't leave this out)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup mashed sweet potato
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cream of tartar and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in Cheddar cheese and bacon. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk and sweet potato. Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until combined. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead gently 12 times. Roll dough to a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 8 rectangular pieces.
- On the prepared baking sheet, place biscuits 1 inch apart. Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Serve warm.