Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Vegetable side dishes stole the show this Thanksgiving. This was my yellow vegetable dish. Use New Jersey red sweet potatoes and a full flavored rum, like Appleton Estates.
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 400°F oven for 1 hour.
- While potatoes are baking, place cinnamon stick and cider in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until reduced to less than 1/2 cup.
- While cider is reducing, core, peel and dice the apples.
- When the cider has reduced, remove the cinnamon stick and add the apples.
- Cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in maple syrup and transfer to a loaf-shaped 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Peel sweet potatoes and place in a food processor with the rum and butter.
- Process to a smooth purée.
- Spread sweet potatoes evenly over apple layer.
- Reduce oven heat to 350°F Bake for 30 minutes before serving.
Tried this with fresh pumpkin I have on hand and I'm afraid it didn't work well. Tasted delicious but I had to doctor it in many ways to get around the pumpkin being so watery. If I had used the sweet potatoes, I'm absolutely certain I'd be giving this 5 stars. Loved the apple cider reduction and cooked apples. Pumpkin is too thin unless you're going to thicken it with eggs or flour, etc. Stick with the recipe as written and I'm sure you'll love it.