Recipe by Roosie
Posted by request. An adaptation I found from Bon Bon Appetit, December 1991. Times are estimates.
Top Review by Robs415
I served this with stuffed pork chops and a spinach salad for a dinner party. Everyone raved. I wasn't sure how I would like this, but it was wonderful. A great way to serve sweet potatoes without them being "sweet". I made the mistake of putting the topping on when I first put it in the oven, and it turned out just fine.
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 lb granny smith apple, peeled,cored & thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 13X6 inch oval baking dish.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Toss apples with flour in medium bowl.
- Arrange half of sweet potatoes in bottom of prepared dish.
- Top with half of apple slices.
- Arrange remaining potatoes and then remaining apples.
- Cover with sauteed onions.
- Pour stock over all.
- Bake until sweet potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and bacon in small bowl, then sprinkle mixture over potatoes.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Broil until topping browns, if needed.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.