Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Recipe by Robert Del Grande
- 1 large sweet potato (16 ounces)
- 2 medium poblano chiles
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line 9-inch cake pan with wax paper, and lightly butter wax paper.
- Roast sweet potato at 350 degrees until soft (approximately 1 hour).
- Allow to cool.
- Remove skin, and cut meat of sweet potato into large pieces.
- Over open gas flame, char skins of poblano chiles.
- Place charred chiles in bowl, cover with kitchen towel, and allow to cool.
- Peel charred skin from chiles, remove stem and seeds, and roughly chop.
- Roughly chop onion, and sauté in butter over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Cut tortillas into small pieces, and lightly fry in the peanut oil until crisp.
- Remove from oil, and reserve.
- Discard oil.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients, and lightly mix until rough batter is formed.
- Pour batter into cake pan, and bake in shallow water bath in 350-degree oven for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and slice.