Recipe by Chef mariajane
This springtime frittata offers a blast of flavour and colour and is perfect for a special brunch or a quick weekday supper. Tangy Asiago cheese offsets the earthy and delicous flavours of spinach and sweet potatoes. Serve with crunchy fresh Sweet Onion Salsa.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I was searching for a recipe including sweet potatoes and spinach and LUCKILY I came across this one! I scaled this down to 1-2 servings (using 2 eggs). I did add some drizzles of water while cooking the sweet potatoes to keep them from getting too dry. It does take a few extra minutes of chopping, but well worth the results. The frittata is bursting with colors and tasted great with a slice of toast. Thanks Mariajane, for posting- Roxygirl
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups asiago cheese, shredded, divided
- 3⁄4 cup medium cheddar, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup milk, 2%
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 4 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
FRESH SWEET ONION SALSA
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Position oven rack 6-inches from broiler. Preheat broiler.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, 3/4 cup of the Asiago cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk.
- In a 12-inch non-stick oven-proof skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add sweet potatoes. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sweet potatoes are almost tender.
- Add spinach and cook, uncovered for 1-2 minutes or until slightly wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; pour egg mixture over vegetables; cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until bubbles are coming through mixture and bottom is golden brown (eggs won't be fully set).
- Remove cover; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Asiago cheese.
- Broil for 1 1/2 minutes or until egg is set and cheese is bubbling and slightly browned.
- Let stand for 5 minutes; run spatula around outside edge of skillet to release frittata. Slice and serve immediately with salsa.
- FRESH SWEET ONION SALSA:.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.