Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Winter always makes me crave soup, this one came about as we have a bottle of Yu-la chilli oil in the cupboard and I had one of my what would happen if... moments
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 750 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250 g diced carrots
- 1500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion over a medium heat until softened but not browned. Add the sweet potato and carrots and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or so, until the vegetables are soft but still with some bite.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour into a blender and whizz until smooth - do this in batches if you need to. Return to the pan and gently reheat.
- Season if desired and either stir in the chilli oil or serve garnished with a few drops of the oil.
I really, really loved this soup. It was the first time I ever used sweet potatoes and I liked it alot. I didn't have chile oil, but added a little bit of sweet chili sauce to it and it was wonderful. I drank 3 big cups of it, so that says a lot. My husband didn't care for this soup, but I'm the one who makes and reviews, so for me it's a real keeper! Thanks for posting, I will look through your ther soup recipes!