Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nothing like sweet potatoes to warm the soul and soothe the spirit. I love sweet potato soup and this one is one of my favorites.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo (finely chopped or pureed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large saucepan, cook onions and garlic in butter until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add stock and potatoes, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add honey, cream, and pepper, remove from heat and puree until smooth (I used my immersion blender).
I made this one on a cold day, and it was a wonderful way to warm up! I increased the amount of chipotles for added spice. Served it with homemade croutons and chipotle sour cream for garnish. Delicious!
I liked this one a lot. I didn't have any fat-free half & half, so I added some powdered milk to regular milk (sounds weird, but it worked). We used only 2 tb. of honey, and I think it would have been too sweet with the full amount. The soup had the perfect amount of spice; this is one of the better uses of chiles in adobo I've found. Thanks for posting!