Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Phase 3 of Fast Metabolism Diet
Make and share this Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fully cooked nitrate-free chicken sausage or 12 ounces turkey sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (9 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the sausage; cook until it browns, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and cook until they are translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until they begin to soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add the broth and bring the soup to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender and purée it, then return it to the pot. Add the browned sausage. Stir in the spinach and simmer just until it wilts, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.