My dear SO brought home 30 lbs. of sweet potatoes,YES I said 30 lbs. :)and had to figure out what to do with them. So, Using what I had on hand, this soup was created out of desperation and necessity.And I have to say it was tasty enough for my SO to eat two bowls.( he's picky :) )Please feel free to adjust the seasonings according to your own personal tastes.As with almost any soup the longer you let simmer the better. Submitted to "ZAAR" on November 19th,2008.
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 lb uncooked pork, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, washed, and diced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, i used a leftover mixture corn, lima beans, green beans
- In a plastic bag or a bowl with a lid, combine first five ingredients making sure all the pork is coated.
- In a dutch oven, or large pot heat oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onions and the flour coated pork, including extra flour if any.
- Cook until pork is browned and onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil,then add sweet potatoes.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add leftover veggies and simmer until veggies are heated through.
- Serve with your favorite cornbread or biscuit recipe.