Recipe by Abby Girl
The combination of grilled peppers and sweet potatoes produces a sweet, velvety textured soup. The combination is truly outstanding. The soup can be made up 2 days in advance or frozen for up to 3 months. Add more stock when reheating. This fabulous soup comes in with 3 points Weight Watchers
- 4 sweet peppers (any color)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 2 -3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Core peppers and cut along the seams so that you have 4 slices. Cook peppers for 15 - 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until charred on all sides. Cool, peel and slice.
- In a large saucepan, sprayed with cooking spray, add the oil and cook onions, carrots, garlic and basil for 5 minutes or until onions are browned. Stir in stock, sweet potatoes and peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly.
- In (small) batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor. Return to saucepan. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Serve with garnish.
- Note: When preparing the peppers, I have a large bowl and plate sitting beside my bbq. Once each pepper slice is charred, I remove it to the bowl and cover the bowl with the plate, then continue cooking. By covering the bowl with a plate, this steams the pepper, making it easier to remove the skin. The peppers will take any where from 15 to 25 minutes to char.