Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
For all sweet potato lovers, a flavoursome salad combining the sweet potato and pecans with bean sprouts and a range of salad greens: celery, celeric, spring onions and endive. The 'cooking time' includes about 25 minutes cooling time. Adapted from "Potatoes and Vegetables" by Parragon Publishing.
- 1 lb sweet potato, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 celery root, grated (celeric)
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 heads endive, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic-flavored red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain thoroughly, transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Stir in the celery, celery root, spring onions, bean sprouts and chopped pecans.
- Line a salad bowl with the endive leaves and sprinkle them lightly with lemon juice.
- Spoon the potato and salad greens mixture onto the endive leaves.
- In a small bowl, beat the dressing ingredients together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve immediately.
I made this using half sweet potatoes and half red potatoes, it was good although next time I will use less bean sprouts or omit them totally I really don't think they are needed in this salad, I increased the dressing amounts, all in all a very tasty salad, thanks bluemoon!...Kitten:)