Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Use the orange fleshed sweet potatoes in this recipe, as the yellow or white fleshed ones have a dry and crumbly texture when baked. For convenience, roast a sweet potato the night before.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (I use the splenda baking blend)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Ligthly spoon all purpose flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next five ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine milk, sweet potato, sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg yolks, stirring until smooth, add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form, fold egg whites into batter. Let batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non stick griddle or non stick skillet over medium high heat. Coat griddle or pan with cooking spray.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle or pan. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over, and cook 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.