Recipe by kelly in TO
Healthy healthy! Sweet potatoes have way more nutrients than any other potato, pair that with the chickpeas and peanut butter and we're talking complete vegetarian nutrient full meal here. Note: Sometimes I add a tsp of lime juice.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
Delish. This was super easy to make, yummy and filling. I don't currently have a microwave so I boiled the potaotes instead, and it was still quick and easy. I used 3 Tbsp of cumin (instead of 4) but added more pepper flakes. Made the garbanzos from scratch. I took your suggestion and added just a bit of lime right at the end. The peanut butter made it creamy and thick. Thanks for posting, this is a great weeknight meal.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, well scrubbed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
- 12 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in 2 1/2 -quart microwave-safe dish. Cover dish and microwave on High until fork tender, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 5- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, and peanut butter until blended; heat to boiling and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add sweet potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro.