Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from World Recipes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Saute onions and soft and light browned. Add in garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in canned tomatoes (don't drain), sweet potatoes and carrots. Cook & stir about 5 minutes.
- Add water to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. In a food processor or blender blend the soup and peanuts until smooth. Season with cayenne pepper.
- Return to the pot mixing in peanut butter and cook until heated.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro.