Recipe by Mary Jenny
Sweet potatoes, Ontario apples and the rich tang of Gruyère cheese are a divine combination of flavours and add a sweet touch to Sunday night's roast pork dinner or your Thanksgiving dinner.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Followed the recipe on down, though I used 2 Jonagold & 2 Golden Delicious apples & didn't peel either the apples or the potatoes! Maybe a little more rustic the way I did it, but we do like the nutrition from those peels, so . . . Also used a sweet onion! Loved the flavor combo especially with the gruyere cheese in there! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 4 ontario apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange half of the sliced sweet potatoes over the bottom of an 8-inch round (2 L) baking dish. Arrange half of the sliced onion rings over the sweet potatoes and half of the sliced apples over the onion. Repeat these layers with remaining ingredients.
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle over apples. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese is bubbly and golden and potatoes and apples are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- *Variety Tip: For best results, use Ontario Empire, Golden Delicious, Spartan, Cortland or Northern Spy apples.